Saturday 11 November 2017

Struggle of a Day


     Today I took a walk down Shibden Valley and nearly had a
     heart attack in the process, I started on the Jesmond Hill track
     but it was eerily quiet apart from a few Great Tits flitting about
     the small trees, as I got further along the track the light faded
     badly so trying to get decent pics was gonna be a struggle, 2
     Blackbirds and 8 flighty Redwing were the next birds I spotted,
     It was a shame that they were so flighty as I was hoping for a
     decent pic of them but it wasn't to be, I then set off towards the
     Shibden Mill Inn and not a bird seen or heard for a good ten
     minutes.

     I was talking to a walker who told me to go over a stile and
     follow the path to Lee lane, well I must of picked the wrong stile
     as the one I took got me lost and stuck in fields surrounded by
     barbed wire, anyway I decided to stick it out and climb over
     the wire and up the hill that got steeper and steeper, after a few
     falls and attacks by brambles, thorns and barbed wire I finally
     got to the top of Mt Everest and even though I was struggling
     for breath I still managed a few swear words but not a pic of
     anything during my struggles although I did see 2 Bullfinch,
     8 Long Tailed Tits and a few Blackbirds and plenty of Wood
     Pigeon.

     With my Breath back I set off along Hag Lane where a Tawny
     Owl flew from a tree down into the valley, as I scoured the area with
     my Binoculars there were a pair of eyes staring at me, no not the
     Owls but a beautiful Roe Deer which stared at me for 5 mins and
     then carried on eating the grass, a bit further along the track up
     popped a Little Owl on a fence post, what a little beauty but a bit
     far away for a decent shot and the light was too low so had to have
     my ISO on the camera too high.

    Garden had Goldfinch, Robin, Wren, Crows mobbing something
    in the distance and a Kestrel hunting in the back field, so the day
    was a bit quieter and eventful than I expected, but at least it got
    me out of the house for a few hours.

 
















2 comments:

Bradshaw Rambler said...

Great blog Dave!
I've got an O.S. map you can borrow, if you go off-piste again.
Like the Little Owl .. You can't beat 'em.
Time for some goodies to turn up ... Soon I hope.
John

Dave Brotherton said...

Hahaha I deffo need a map mate, yeah I love the Little Owls and this one was active it was great to watch.