Friday 3 November 2017

Worth the Wait


   Day off of work today so went up onto the moors
    for the afternoon while the wife was at the hospital
    in Sheffield. Weather was very poor, cloudy, strong
    winds and a light rain, so I wasn't expecting much and
    kept asking myself why I'd bothered although I had seen
    a lone Buzzard soaring high above while I was driving and
    a hovering Kestrel just as I got out of the car.
   
     After a 20 minute walk of seeing nothing but sheep I
     finally came across 5 Pheasant and a couple of Mallard
     and that was it for another hour, I bumped into MB up
     on the moors who was having the same trouble as me in
     seeing hardly any birds, anyway after a while of scouring
     the sky MB spotted a distant Raptor and what a beauty it
     was, a female Hen Harrier doing a few twists and turns
     before disappearing into the heather, it only showed for
     about 10 seconds but that was enough to cheer me and MB
     up for a bit and it was a 1st for me this year and only the
     2nd in a lifetime so I was well chuffed, it was just a shame
      it was too dark and too distant for a decent photograph but
      beggars can't be choosers as they say, 8 Mallard and 100's
      of starlings were also seen.
     

No comments: